One major step for companies registering medium and high risk medical devices in South Korea is compliance with the Korea Good Manufacturing Practice (KGMP) quality system regulations. Similar to ISO 13485 quality system standards, KGMP is required by the Korean Ministry of Food and Drug Safety (MFDS) for all Class II, III and IV medical devices. The MFDS may verify KGMP compliance via onsite inspections conducted either by its own staff or through third-party reviewers.
The Korean KGMP implementation and inspection process
KGMP certification must be secured before you can place any Class II, III and IV medical devices on the South Korean market. In order to obtain KGMP certification, you must submit documentation to an MFDS authorized third party reviewer demonstrating that your device complies with design, risk, technical and related KGMP quality system requirements.
Following submission of your KGMP certification application, your manufacturing site may undergo inspection by a qualified third-party auditor and/or the MFDS depending on your device’s classification:
- Sites for Class II devices are subject to third-party audits only
- Sites for Class III and IV devices are subject to a combined audit by a third-party reviewer and the MFDS
Let Emergo support your KGMP compliance project
With a well-established presence in Seoul, we provide KGMP implementation and maintenance support to companies inside and outside Korea. We also assist firms prepare for on-site audits to verify KGMP compliance.
Emergo consultants offer expert support for all aspects of medical device registration in Korea, including KGMP implementation and maintenance. Our local presence also allows us to act as your Korea License Holder to manage your registration and quality system compliance efforts.
- Our Seoul office can interact efficiently and effectively with Korean regulators on your behalf
- We have implemented quality systems for clients in more than 20 countries including South Korea
- We can manage your KGMP implementation project in parallel with your device registration process
- If you already have an ISO 13485 quality system in place, we can ensure it meets KGMP requirements as well
Whether your goal is stand-alone KGMP certification or quality system implementation as part of a Korean medical device registration project, we offer expertise to ensure your success.