DENMARK - Medical Device Industry and Demographic Data

Shown below you will find some basic demographic and economic data, plus information specific to the medical device and healthcare industry.

Capital city: Copenhagen

Total area: 43 094 km²

Population: 5.6 million

Currency: Danish krone

Language: Danish

Structure of population:
0-14 years: 18%
15-64 years: 65%
65 years and over: 17% (2011 est.)

Life expectancy at birth:
Male: 77 years
Female: 81 years

Healthcare expenditures total (% of GDP): 11.5%

Healthcare expenditures per capita: $6452 (USD)

Expenditures on healthcare:
Government: 85%*
Private: 15%**

Number of hospitals: 59 (2005 data)

Healthcare financing: Danish healthcare financing is in the process of DRG system adaptation. Currently each hospital receives an upfront budget corresponding to 80% of the DRG rates related to the case mix in the negotiated activity target (the "baseline"), with the remaining 20% being allocated according to actual activity. The Government is planning an increase in the activity-based financing from 20% to 50% of the hospital budgets during the coming years. Primary sector is financed by a combination of per capita and fee-for-service payment. Doctor's fees are negotiated with the public authorities on a regular basis.

Medical device industry: Denmark is a small-sized consumer of medical devices. The medical device market was estimated at $1.96 billion in 2009. The market is expected to grow at about 9% per annum, reaching $3 billion by 2014. The largest product group consumed is medical and diagnostic equipment followed by medical and surgical instruments and appliances, and ophthalmic instruments. There has been a significant increase in sales of disposable products like syringes needle and catheters, and medical supplies. Denmark has many domestic device manufacturers and some of them have a global presence. The strength of domestic manufacturers is in the field of diagnostics, orthopedic and prosthetic appliances, especially hearing aids.